Sunday, May 13, 2007

happy mother's day

I'm deeply touched by Mother's Day this year because it is the first one with my baby son, now 7 months old. I felt the same way nearly 6 years ago with my very first ever Mother's Day after the birth of my daughter. I'm blessed to have kids, of course, as all moms are – but even more poignantly so since I went thru a great deal to bring my children into the world; including years of infertility, three miscarriages, my daughter's complicated premataure birth & now this last high risk pregnancy with my son. Needless to say I'm grateful beyond mere words for the gift of my children’s healthy little lives -- truly the best Mother’s Day present of all.

But today I also want to honor the mother archetypal force. Motherhood is about many things beyond raising human children. We women are all mothers in our own way, through our innate spirit of creativity. Mothering can be about birthing art, music or words…tending animals, friends or family…developing a career, vocation or project…or nurturing relationships with other people’s children, as teachers, mentors and community leaders. Most of all we are mothering in the best possible way when we lovingly care for the Mother-Of-All-That-Is, our beautiful planet earth. So today I wish for all women involved in the sacred feminine act of mothering to have a special, blessed day.

No comments: